Thursday, October 11, 2012

Salt Lick - funny name, great BBQ


Months ago I signed up to volunteer at the Tough Mudder in Austin, TX for two reasons - half off my registration fee when I run in Tough Mudder, Tampa in December and I think I'm obsessed with the mud runs. Upon finding out about my trip down to Austin, friends in the Dallas area suggested my husband and I to try a restaurant called Salt Lick.


Strange name right...
Okay - so they didn't suggest it. It was more like "You HAVE to go there!" So, after getting very sunburned at Tough Mudder handing out t-shirts and encouraging the Mudders, we drove the hour to the other side of Austin to the flagship location in Driftwood, TX.

Warning!! It's BYOB and cash only - come prepared! If you don't BYOB, never fear - they have a wine and beer cellar that does take credit cards. :) After picking up some Shiner Bock from the cellar, we waited a few minutes to get seated.


We got seated at a large picnic style table, which was perfect and our server was Marisol.

I might have to argue she was sweeter than the berry cobbler...

Platters were a great size for us to share (since we like to share entrees anyway so we ordered the Truman sampler to share. Ribs, brisket, turkey, and sausage along with sides of potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, pickles/onions mixture, and the softest bread slices ever. Lots of food!                                  Salt Lick has a unique family recipe for their BBQ sauce which is basted on four times while the meat is slow cooking over the oak logs in the large pit built back in the 1960's. The recipe does not contain any tomatoes so the sauce doesn't burn on the meat while cooking like most other sauces. It does contain sugar which caramelizes over the meat and makes it easy to sink your teeth into.

Best BBQ I have ever had from all over the country!
Marisol was sweet enough to indulge me for a picture in front of the original fire pit still used.

Overall, I will join the crowd saying...

If you are anywhere close to the Austin, TX area, you MUST go to the Driftwood location of Salt Lick and have some amazing BBQ!

2 comments: